- Argument: Feminists can't even agree on what feminism is!! Weh weh I bet you can't even define it, can you?
- Response: Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men. While different feminists have different schools of thought, that does not lessen the overall mission. For example, there are many schools of thought within Buddhism but that does not mean its beliefs are any less valuable.
- Argument: Okay but if it's about equality, why is it called FEMINism hmm???
- Response: Because women are currently not being treated equally to men, and improving things for one group of people doesn't make things worse for another group of people. For example, if I donate money to the children in Uganda, that does not mean I am making things worse for the children in Ukraine. It probably just so happens that the kids in Uganda need it more urgently. Your concern about the word feminism is in fact shock at the fact that women could have the audacity to name a word after themselves.
- Argument: Okay but men have problems too!!
- Response: Yes, they do, just like every group of people. And while sexism towards men is not institutionalized like misogyny is, feminists usually do more for men's rights than antifeminists do. Feminists acknowledge the gender roles that hurt both men and women (the demonizing of femininity and condemnation of men to a narrow image of masculinity).
- Argument: But women are treated equally to men now! That is so outdated! Tell me one right men have that women don't.
- Response: Your belief that women are treated equally to men is incredibly myopic and focused on the Western society. In most countries around the world, baby girls are being killed because their parents want males, women are being jailed and sometimes executed for being raped, others are forced to marry their rapist, domestic abuse towards women is seen as "educating" them, little girls are being shot in the head for seeking a real education, and I could go on forever. But since you clearly only care about the Western society, here's a list of things that happens to women in it: they are shamed for being open about their sexualities, they are objectified on a mass scale in the media to the extent that even women view themselves as sex objects, old white men are constantly trying to take away their reproductive rights, there is a rape culture that women live in with terror, they are blamed for their own rape, their bodies are viewed as liabilities that they must hide despite their will for self-expression, and so on.
wear your armor
whether it’s makeup, a band tshirt, your fandom pins, tattoos, jewelry, your favorite ripped pair of jeans, or something no one else can touch or see like your favorite song repeating like a mantra in your head, the sound of your own heartbeat, or the knowledge that you were brave enough to get out of bed today when everything else inside you said “no”
wear your armor and kick ass
We live in a society that’s sexist in ways it doesn’t understand. One of the consequences is that men are extremely sensitive to being criticized by women. I think it threatens them in a very primal way, and male privilege makes them feel free to lash out.
This is why women are socialized to carefully dance around these issues, disagreeing with men in an extremely gentle manner. Not because women are nicer creatures than men. But because our very survival can depend on it."
The whole article sadly hits very close to home.
how to reduce pregnancy in teens:
- educate teens on safe sex
- teach teens on consent,what rape is and why its wrong
- give them easy-access to birth control and abortion clinics if necessary
how NOT to reduce pregnancy in teens:
- refuse to teach them on safe sex
- telling teenage girls how to dress
- making it impossible for anyone to get birth control
Can we please stop making fun of people who are over 20 and are still virgins
Can we please stop making fun of people who are not interested in sex/are repulsed by sex
Can we please stop making fun of people who aren’t interested in a sexual or romantic relationship
CAN WE ALSO NOT MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE WHO ARE WAITING UNTIL MARRIAGE